Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Time to Reflect

On Wednesday, September 21st my Grandma Hess was finally reunited with my Grandpa Hess.  It was a reunion that was 10 years in the making and long overdue.  I was able to see my grandmother this summer in Ohio.  We had a mini reunion at Coldwater Park and celebrated her 86th birthday.  It was wonderful that Joelle got to see her and be a part of that.  The last time we saw her was my cousin Kevin's wedding and Joelle was only 6 months old.  She knew we were there and she knew we had come a long way to see her. 
I remember holidays at my grandparents.  We used to play pool in the basement.  The basement was the kid hide out.  They always had soda and beer in the fridge, it just wasn't always in date!!  Flat soda was a common occurrence.  The best part is that we joked about it, but we ALL drank it!!  My grandma was a typical stoic German woman.  My grandma had very unique kisses.  She pucker kissed!!  My grandfather was the one who would get goofey with the grand kids.  He would "get your nose" and tickle you.  My grandmother was the one who kept the household together.  I think I am a bit like her in the sense that I am a touch obsessive about how I want things done.  She was a touch obsessive about that and how clean her house was.  My grandfather was Grandma Ellie's life.  After he passed away, she still went about life, but it was going through the motions.  I am so happy that she was able to meet Joelle and that Joelle was able to meet her.  She had 17 grand kids and 29 great-grand kids at the time of her passing.  I hope that some day I can have a legacy like that.  I love you grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment