Saturday, July 16, 2011

Feel Good Moments

Today I was at the Dollar Store picking up some last minute items for my classroom.  Since I am changing grades, I needed some more mature items!!  As I was checking out a woman behind me in the line asked if I was a teacher.  I explained that I was and I was getting a few last minute things for my classroom.  She then blew me away.  She asked me if she could PAY for my school supplies!!  Huh, I was dumbfounded.  Here was a perfect stranger who does not have a child in my classroom offering to pay for my supplies.  She said her children had a great experience at school and with everything that has happened to the school budgets, she felt that teachers deserved it.  I have been very lucky in my last 3 years of teaching to have wonderful parents in my class who have been SO generous and always willing to purchase things for the classroom or offer their time.  This woman had no relationship to me and her children were out of school!  This type of kindness just doesn't happen anymore.  I literally got goosebumps and gave the woman a hug.  I tried to thank her for her kindness, but there is no way I could adequately explain what her generosity meant to me.  I always try to follow the golden rule and live by what comes around goes around, but today I have decided to make an effort to pay it forward as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment