Sunday, June 20, 2010

Amateur Haircut



I decided that Joelle needed a haircut. Her hair had gotten so long in the back that every morning it was a frizzy, tangled mess. She has very fine, dry hair and it is difficult to keep it looking nice- especially in the back. She got her first haircut at Cost Cutters and they did a great job, but I had a hard time paying $15 for a haircut that took-literally- 5 minutes. Plus, when I was in my early 20's I had friends that went to cosmetology school and became hair stylists so I learned a lot about how to cut hair. Or so I thought.... It started out just fine. Joelle has curly hair in the back and I was sure that cutting it would cut the curl off. I LOVE her curl because as a girl with thin, fine hair myself I understand what it will be like for her as she gets older. There are a lot of hair styles that I could not have growing up because of the type of hair I have. If Joelle had curls, that would help her out. I started out by cutting the length in the back shorting and blending it with her sides. That went really well and she was doing a great job sitting still and following my directions so I thought, well, I guess I should try to layer the back a little so that it has some volume. This is where I sort of got nervous. After the first cut I realized that this idea was not going to work because I really did not know what I was doing!! In theory, what I did will work, just not when it is on a 2 year old who is turning her head and not sitting high enough because I don't have a barber chair. I ended up having to cut the length a little shorter than I had wanted and I was worried that Steve was not going to like what I had done and I would end up paying the money for a REAL stylist to fix my mistakes. I decided to take a break, wait until her hair dried and then decide what I was going to do. Once it dried- it looked great:) Whew! I was really nervous and it looks great. All of the curl is not gone and I think that helped to hide any mistakes I made. All in all, I am pretty happy with the job that I did. I hope Steve is too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment