Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ms. Libby Pratt


On Sunday, July 15th we went to the Maricopa Animal Shelter to check out some of the dogs that they had.  It was a very depressing sight.  The number of animals that were there was ridiculous!  We had been discussing getting a dog and had just begun to really look around.  There were several dogs that we had ear marked as possibles after walking through all of the wings of the kennel.  We knew we wanted a female and we wanted a dog that was around a year old or a little older.  I was hoping to avoid the puppy behavior! 

When we saw this little girl we just knew we had to meet her.  She was laying in the kennel chilling.  She wasn't barking or anything.  You can imagine how loud the kennel was with 60 plus dogs in a section.  We got a volunteer to take her out and we went outside to a large penned in area to get to know her.  She was pretty jumpy and wild at first, but then the volunteer said she hadn't been outside in 3 days!!  Can you imagine? 

After awhile she calmed down a little.  She was such a good girl.  Another dog walked by the pen and Libby went to the fence and licked the other dog.  She showed no aggression towards people or other animals.  We figured out right then that she was ours.  While I had really no idea that we would be adopting a dog that day, I am so glad we did.  We had to wait until Tuesday to pick her up because part of the adoption fee is getting her spayed. 

When we were finally able to pick her up she rode in the car very well.  I was a little nervous about that, but it turned out okay!  For the first several days she seemed a little sickly and just did not have the personality that we remembered from the pound.  It turned out that she had kennel cough which is pretty normal for dogs that come from the pound.  We had to give her some antibiotics and she returned to the dog we saw at the pound.  I have learned a whole lot about dogs in a very short period of time. 

If you know me, you know Megan really wanted a dog and that I wasn't so set on it.  What is hard to believe is how much I love this dog!!  I am so glad that we got her.  She has her down sides, but her up sides are so wonderful.  If anyone would have told me I would like her this much and be willing to let her sleep in my room, I would have told you that you were crazy, but it is true!  She kind of makes our family complete.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment