Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Lock Down???

Tuesday, October 20th began just like any other normal school day.  One of my wonderful students got me a Brutus hat!  
But at 1:50 on that fateful day, we were put into a lock down.  No problem, we wait in the corner of the room and prepare to not freak out when they try to open our locked door.  Except, that didn't happen.  After 20 minutes I began to wonder what was really going on.  Long story short, There was a bomb threat called in to our school.  We were locked down in our rooms while the Chandler PD  blocked off the area and began to use dogs to sniff for explosives.
That is Big and Black in the back of the school.  They wanted to evacuate us to a safe location but they had to make sure that our exit route was safe.  
At approximately 4pm my grade level was finally evacuated and put on buses to go the park near by.  We were locked in our room for 2 hours and some of the students had to use the buckets to pee in!  The class did a great job.  We stayed calm and positive.  I was able to load students off the bus in an orderly manner and into their parents waiting arms.  I have been teaching for 14 years and have never had to be evacuated.  Hopefully it will be 14 more before I do it again.  

Joelle's thoughts.  Were you scared?  No, she says with a funny look on her face.  I got water and snacks, peed in the bucket, and then I slept most of the time.  Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment